As a naturopathic physician, I am always looking for holistic recommendations to help support the body and provide relief from illness, especially during the winter months. This year cold and flu season has a special twist since we are also dealing with elevated rates of COVID-19 illness. As a result, it is especially important to take care of yourself by getting plenty of sleep, eating nourishing foods, getting fresh air and regular exercise, and taking time for self- care to support your mental health. Despite your best efforts, sometimes you still get sick and I wanted to share this healing drink that is soothing for sore throats and helps to support immune system function. It is simple to make, uses only a few easily accessible ingredients, and is so nourishing.
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 bulb of garlic
- ½- 1 cup honey
- 8 cups water
- lemon (optional)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- Peel the garlic
- Add the garlic, water, and apple cider vinegar to a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add ½-1 cup honey to taste
- You can add the juice from one lemon and 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper for added flavor if you do not mind spice.
- Let cool and enjoy!
- Eat the garlic for added microbial benefit
- Can be stored in the fridge for 1 week.
* If you are sick with COVID-19 related or other upper respiratory symptoms please contact your physician for advice on testing, isolating, and treatment.